Looking for interesting, flexible legal work?

Since 2015, MinterEllison Flex has provided career alternatives for legal professionals seeking flexibility and a variety of temporary contracts, while still being part of a leading international law firm. Whether you are a former General Counsel or Corporate Counsel there is a MinterEllison Flex option for you.

What is it like to be a MinterEllison Flex lawyer?

Lara James

Lara James highlights how Flex provided her with the required flexibility she wanted without compromising on the quality of clients and work.

Greg McHugh

Greg McHugh looks at how going the Flex route with the backing of MinterEllison has benefited his legal career.


Where our Flex lawyers work

Our Flex lawyers work in both the public and private sectors. These include private and listed companies, banks and other financial institutions, asset owners and operators, multinational corporations and mature startups.

Flex lawyers are usually required to work onsite from the client's location and may also be able to work remotely. There may also be opportunities to work at MinterEllison with your aligned practice group.

The minimum criteria to join our Flex talent pool is:

  • At least 3 - 4 years' experience at a top tier or specialist law firm
  • Ideally at least one years' experience in an in-house role or secondment
  • Current practising certificate

Step by step guide to becoming a Flex lawyer

Common questions about remuneration  and employment under Flex

Flex lawyers are employees of MinterEllison for the duration of the secondment.

Duration of engagement? Navigation Show below Hide below

Engagements can vary from 12 weeks or as long as 12 months or more, and can be full time or part time.

It is very common for engagements to be extended.

How is your remuneration decided? Navigation Show below Hide below

How you are paid will depend on a number of factors and will depend on each engagement type. These factors include:

  • Hours required
  • Level of expertise
  • Length of engagement

Practising certificates Navigation Show below Hide below

Flex lawyers are responsible for keeping their practising certificate (PC) current and covering associated costs.

It is a requirement of Flex that lawyers have the appropriate PC before being put forward for a role.

Specifically we require an unrestricted PC as a principal of a law practice or an unsupervised / unrestricted PC as an employee of a law practice.

There are some very limited exceptions to this specifically in the ACT which you will need to discuss with us.

Get involved

If you are interested in becoming a Flex lawyer with MinterEllison, please contact Georgie Robinson on +61 2 9921 8575 or visit our search vacancies page and search for "Flex" in the keywords