Prior to becoming a lawyer I had over 12 years' experience in executive management, marketing and business development and as a result have a good understanding of the commercial objectives of my clients. I believe strongly in solutions based lawyering and work hard to cultivate that approach in my team.
I am particularly passionate about rights protection and commercialisation having worked on a multitude of domestic and international broadcasting, sponsorship, merchandising and ticketing rights negotiations. I also have significant experience in large scale event procurement, stadium and venue use and management, event overlay construction, sport and ceremony production as well as risk management and corporate governance.
- 2017 Australian Sports and Entertainment Lawyer of the Year – Lawyers Weekly Corporate Counsel Awards
- 2017 Australian Sports and Entertainment Legal Team of the Year – Lawyers Weekly Corporate Counsel Awards
- 2017 Most Inspiring Female Role Model – Gold Coast International Women’s Day Honours
- 2016 Special Counsel of the Year – Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards
- GC2018 - I am leading the embedded in-house legal team in the fully outsourced delivery of the legal land brand protection functions for the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, a $2billion project that will see the Gold Coast host the largest sporting event Australia will see this decade and the first to be held in a regional city. I was responsible for conceiving and structuring the innovative delivery model which is a world first in that it is the first time a fully outsourced legal and brand protection function has been used for a major international multi-sport event.
- IG2018 – I am leading the firm’s delivery of the legal and brand protection functions for the Invictus Games 2018 Sydney. Founded in 2014 by Prince Harry, the Invictus Games uses the power of sport to help the rehabilitation and reintegration of the wounded, injured and ill military personnel and will bring together over 500 competitors from 18 nations to compete in 10 different adaptive sports. The firm is working with IG2018’s Corporate Counsel as the exclusive provider of legal and brand protection services for the Games.
Pro Bono/Community Engagement
- Bond Law Clinic – I was Instrumental in establishing the Bond Law Clinic, a pro bono legal clinic that provides free legal advice to small businesses and not-for-profit organisations. I continue to donate my time as the Clinic’s Managing Practitioner and as a founding member of the Clinic's Advisory Board. To date the Clinic has assisted 382 clients and provided valuable work experience to 121 volunteer students.
- Griffith University Intern Program – I collaborated with Griffith University to create and launch the MinterEllison Internship Clinic. This is now an elective available to Griffith University law students to undertake work experience on the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games project.
- Layne Beachley Aim For The Stars Foundation – I established the firm’s partnership with the Foundation and lead the firm’s delivery of a significant amount of pro bono legal work to assist the Foundation achieve its charitable goals.
- Graduated First in Class from Juris Doctor Law Degree
- Vice Chancellors List of Academic Excellence
- Deans List of Academic Excellence
- Currently a Semester Teaching Fellow at Bond University
- Company Directors Course – Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Practice Management Course – College of Law
- Juris Doctor Degree – Bond University
- Bachelor of Commerce – Deakin University
Industry Bodies/Public Speaking
- Chairperson – 2018 Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association Annual Conference Organising Committee
- Member – 2017 Tennis Queensland Judiciary
- Speaker – 2017 Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association NZ Symposium- Auckland
- Speaker – 2017 Gold Coast Exchange Ideas Festival – Gold Coast
- Speaker – 2017 Australian Corporate Law Teachers Conference – Gold Coast
- Speaker – 2017 Bond University Gender Generation Series – Gold Coast
- Speaker – 2016 Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association Breakfast Series – Brisbane
- Speaker – 2016 Queensland Law Society Gold Coast Symposium – Gold Coast
- Speaker – 2016 Women of Influence Breakfast Series – Gold Coast
- Speaker – 2016 Bond University The Edge Series – Gold Coast