My experience includes transit-oriented developments, staged and mixed-use developments, major waterfront projects and master planned communities. I understand the complexities of major projects, from due diligence and risk assessment to deal structure and contract documentation.
As lead or co-lead partner on many deals, I have developed strong project management skills and an ability to work across jurisdictions and time zones. I am known for my commercial and pragmatic approach and strong ability to close a deal.
- Australian Unity – advised the health insurance provider in its successful bid strategy and negotiations with the Queensland Government for redevelopment of the former children’s hospital at Herston in Brisbane to create a $1.1 billion aged care, health, residential and retail precinct. Also drafted agreements with developers and investors
- Walker Corporation – assisted with the $2.4 billion development of Toondah Harbour in Redland Bay, which involved negotiating complex project documents with the Queensland Government and Redland City Council
- RNA Showgrounds – advised on the $3 billion redevelopment of its 22-hectare site in Brisbane, including its selection of Lendlease as development partner. I continue to be a trusted adviser on all aspects of the project
- Queensland Government – counselled on the privatisations of the Port of Brisbane, and Mackay and Cairns airports, overseeing all property and tenure aspects of the transactions, including drafting long-term leases
- Sovereign wealth fund – acted for in its acquisition of a major interest in the $2 billion T1 commercial office tower in Barangaroo
- Queensland Government – advised on establishing a terminal for mega-cruise ships at Luggage Point
- Consortium – counselled regarding interest in the recently privatised electricity network business, Endeavour Energy
- Active member in the Property Council of Australia’s Committee for Cities
Awards and recognition
Leading Individual, Real Estate – Chambers Asia-Pacific: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Leading Individual, Real Estate – Best Lawyers: 2013, 2014, 2015
Leading Individual, Real Estate – Legal 500 Asia Pacific: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Preeminent Lawyer, Real Estate – Doyles Guide, 2016
“Cameron Charlton acts for both private and government institutions and attracts praise as a ‘clear commercial thinker’ who is focused on achieving outcomes.” – Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2016