I have a particular interest in helping employers understand and manage the myriad legal issues related to new technologies in the workplace – including privacy, discrimination and safety issues. My particular focus is on public sector employment, and I understand the legal and policy challenges facing government departments, agencies and corporations.
As well as day-to-day employee management issues, I also work with employers to develop their industrial strategies and negotiate enterprise agreements. I have considerable litigation experience and have defended employee claims and industrial disputes before a range of Tribunals, Commissions and Courts.
- Office of Public Sector Industrial Relations; Queensland; Queensland Department of Health; Queensland Rail; Queensland Regional Councils – assisted with enterprise agreements, including providing bargaining strategy and procedural compliance advice; representing parties in the negotiation and arbitration stages; and drafting and managing industrial action
- Australian Digital Health Agency; Queensland Government; Queensland Rail; WorkCover Queensland; Trade & Investment Queensland – provided high-level industrial strategy advice, including facilitating significant restructures and outsourcing arrangements
- Australian Digital Health Agency; Queensland Department of Health; various Queensland Hospital and Health Services; Queensland Rail; Stanwell Corporation – advised in relation to everyday employment matters, including employment and independent contractor contracts, workplace policies, legislative and industrial instruments, flexible work requests, worker injuries, workplace privacy issues and disciplinary action
- Queensland Department of Justice and Attorney-General; Queensland Public Service Commission; various Queensland Hospital and Health Services; Queensland Rail; Stanwell Corporation – represented employers in industrial disputes, unfair dismissal, adverse action, bullying and discrimination claims, workers' compensation appeals and Supreme Court and Court of Appeal proceedings, including judicial reviews
- Stanwell Corporation; various Queensland Hospital and Health Services – advised in relation to workplace investigations, often involving extremely sensitive allegations; whistle-blower complaints; and matters before the Crime and Corruption Commission
- APN News; Queensland Department of Health – successfully resolved discrimination claims brought by customers and clients in relation to perceived unfairness in the way services were offered, including a precedent-setting case in relation to assistance dogs