I have a particular interest in helping employers understand and manage the myriad legal issues related to new technologies in the workplace – including privacy, discrimination and safety issues. My particular focus is on public sector employment, and I understand the legal and policy challenges facing government departments, agencies and corporations.
As well as day-to-day employee management issues, I also work with employers to develop their industrial strategies and negotiate enterprise agreements. I have considerable litigation experience and have defended employee claims and industrial disputes before a range of Tribunals, Commissions and Courts.
- Office of Public Sector Industrial Relations Queensland: Queensland Department of Health; Queensland Rail; Queensland Regional Councils – assisted with enterprise agreements, including providing bargaining strategy and procedural compliance advice; representing parties in the negotiation and arbitration stages; and urgent applications to managed industrial action
- Australian Digital Health Agency; Queensland Government: Queensland Rail– provided high-level industrial strategy advice, including facilitating significant restructures and outsourcing arrangements
- Australian Digital Health Agency; Queensland Department of Health: various Queensland Hospital and Health Services; Queensland Rail; Stanwell Corporation – advised in relation to everyday employment matters, including employment and independent contractor contracts, workplace policies, legislative and industrial instruments, flexible work requests, worker injuries, workplace privacy issues and disciplinary action
- Queensland Department of Justice and Attorney-General; Queensland Public Service Commission; various Queensland Hospital and Health Services; Queensland Rail; Stanwell Corporation; Oil Industry Catering Services – represented employers in industrial disputes, unfair dismissal, general protections, bullying and discrimination claims, workers' compensation appeals and Supreme Court and Court of Appeal proceedings, including judicial reviews
- Stanwell Corporation; Energy Developments Limited, Brookfield Multiplex Constructions, various Queensland Hospital and Health Services, Services Australia – advised in relation to workplace investigations, often involving extremely sensitive allegations, whistle-blower complaints, and matters before the Crime and Corruption Commission
- Glencore Australia, Laing O-Rourke, Stanwell Corporation Limited, Queensland Public Service Commission, Australian Digital Health Agency – providing practical advice regarding privacy law issues surrounding the use and disclosure of workers' personal information, the management of employee data breaches and the complex interaction between privacy law and organisations' industrial and safety obligations.
- Stanwell Corporation Limited, Moreton Bay Regional Council, and Aveo Retirement Villages – provided privacy advice in respect of CCTV systems, including assistance with privacy impact assessments, and submissions to the Office of Information Commissioner Queensland regarding application of Invasion of Privacy Act 1971 (Qld) and interaction with Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld).