I have acted for several of Australia’s major insurance companies and their clients in securities class actions, bushfire class actions, shareholder disputes, breach of warranty claims arising out of merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions, and claims against financial advisers and construction professionals.
Currently, I am editor-in-chief of MinterEllison’s Insurance Contracts Act Handbook, now in its ninth edition. I enjoy this work, as it feeds my passion for insurance law and the insurance industry. I also enjoy training my clients on insurance law and policy issues.
- Ingot Capital Investments v Macquarie Equity Capital Markets – defended an actuarial firm against allegations of misleading or deceptive conduct
- Prepaid Services v Atradius Credit Insurance – acted for the insured in a claim under a trade credit policy requiring interpretation of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth)
- Fincorp Group – represented a director in Australian Securities and Investments Commission proceedings for an alleged breach of directors’ duties
- Forge Group – acting for a director in a Federal Court securities class action following the company’s liquidation
- 2014 Parkerville bushfires in Perth – representing defendant landowner in class actions brought by neighbours
- Defended claims against the head contractor in relation to a significant building in the Sydney suburb of Pyrmont
- Acting for major financial institutions in matters arising from investor advice on superannuation, personal insurance, managed funds and gearing
- Advising insurers on warranty and indemnity policies obtained to protect buyers and sellers in M&A transactions, including managing claims under those policies