Drawing on my understanding of energy law and the regulatory environment, I advise major energy providers on the operation of the National Electricity Market (NEM); the energy regulatory systems in each state and territory; and the structural separation and operation of government-owned electricity corporations.
I greatly enjoy working with clients to help them achieve their strategic objectives. I am also proud to mentor junior lawyers, helping them build their expertise, client skills and broader professional careers.
- SA Power Networks – served as lead adviser in relation to its revenue proposal to the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) for the 2015–20 and 2020–25 regulatory control periods , and its compliance with the regulatory framework established under the National Electricity Rules (NER)
- Government of South Australia – acted in relation to establishing and finalising the National Electricity Code (NEC), and implementing it in South Australia
- Government-owned entities – assisted throughout regulatory reform and privatisation processes, helping develop regulatory codes, contracts and guidelines
- AGL – counselled the company in relation to regulatory reforms in Victoria, NSW and Queensland
- Hydro Tasmania and Aurora Energy Advisors – advised on the commencement of the NER in Tasmania
- South Australian Government and SA Power Networks – provided guidance in relation to implementing the National Energy Customer Framework (NECF)
- Jacana Energy and Territory Generation – helped develop and implement the Interim Northern Territory Electricity Market, and the proposed process for adopting components of the NEM in the Northern Territory
- Advised a bidder for the Government of South Australia’s 100MW battery storage project – the first battery project in the country
- Acted for a bidder for the South Australian Government’s combined retail supply and renewable energy generation project, designed to meet a large percentage of the government’s electricity demand
- Negotiated over 50 different connections to transmission and distribution networks in most states and territories, for ActewAGL, AGL, Alinta Energy, AusNet Services, ElectraNet, Enerfin Energy, Hydro Tasmania, Neoen, SA Power Networks, Tarong Energy, TransGrid, Trustpower and Vestas
- Consistently named by peers in Best Lawyers, every year from 2009 to 2018, and in 2014 was named Lawyer of the Year (Australia) for Energy