I have worked with corporates, individuals and the Hong Kong and Shanghai Governments on mergers and acquisitions, equity fundraisings, refinancings and restructurings, and major entertainment-related infrastructure projects in Hong Kong, China and Macau.
My expertise includes the laws of partnership and shareholder arrangements, and I have advised on a number of high profile intra-family disputes in Hong Kong. I am the trusted adviser to a number of Hong Kong families.
I take pride in my ability to understand the commercial aspects of each matter on which I advise using my experience to analyse risk and protect my client's interests.
I try to help my clients in every way I can, and become their trusted adviser. In addition to my core expertise, I advise on partnerships, shareholder agreements, and trusts which often are tailor-made to the client. I enjoy preparing one-off complex agreements.
- Channel Tunnel: Advised the consortium of contractors on their successful bid for the franchise from the U.K. Government to design, build and operate the Channel Tunnel, including advising on the corporate structure of the bidding vehicles (involving companies incorporated in England and France with "twinned" shares) and subsequently advising on the listing of Eurotunnel PLC on the London and Paris Stock Exchanges and the debt restructuring of Eurotunnel PLC.
- The Chao family and the Wah Kwong Shipping Group: Advised on its restructuring. At that time the Group owned more than 73 bulk-carriers and tankers, and owed in excess of US$860 million to over fifty banks. The restructuring took eighteen months to complete.
- The Hong Kong Government: Advised on the rescue of the Hong Kong Futures Exchange following the Stock market crash of 1987. Following the crash, the Government realised that the Futures Exchange was insolvent. Over a period of five days, a loan facility of more than US$1 billion syndicated between The Hong Kong Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, The Bank of China and others was arranged, to be repaid from a levy on Stock Exchange Turnover imposed by Ordinance.
- Peregrine International Holdings Limited: Advised on the reverse take-over of Peregrine Capital Limited and Peregrine Securities Limited by Tai Shing International Holdings Limited, and the listing of Tai Shing (renamed Peregrine International Holdings Limited) on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Eurotunnel PLC: Advised on its GBP1.8 billion debt and equity refinancing in 1994.
- Hopewell Holdings Limited (while with Peregrine Capital): Advised on the creation of CEPA Limited (comprising the power generators in Asia owned or controlled by Hopewell) and the subsequent sale of CEPA to Southern Electricity, Inc. of the USA.
- The Hong Kong Government: Advised on all aspects of the establishment of Hong Kong Disney (including the corporate structure, shareholder, management, license, master project agreements and financing documents).
- The Shanghai Pudong Government: Advised on all aspects of the establishment of "Shanghai Disney" and "Shanghai Universal". Shanghai Universal was to be sited an approximately 255 hectares of land in Pudong, Shanghai and to cost in excess of US$750 million.
- Las Vegas Sands: Advised on its successful bids for gaming concessions in Macau and Singapore.Following the award of the concession in Macau, Fred advised on all aspects of the development, planning and execution of the "Cotai Strip©", including the Venetian and the Four Seasons Hotels.
- Wah Kwong Maritime Transport Holdings Limited: Acted the pre-IPO corporate restructure and proposed listing on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.