Having previously acted as a Superintendent on major projects, I understand the role and regularly provide contract administration advice and strategic advice concerning the prevention, management, and resolution of disputes. My civil engineering background means that I can understand underlying technical issues – often critical to resolving claims quickly and favourably.
My unique experience has been independently recognised. In addition to being a Fellow of Engineers Australia since 2017, I have been voted as one of Australia's top lawyers in Best Lawyers International (as published in The Australian Financial Review) for:
- Construction / Infrastructure (2012-2019)
- Transportation (2015-2019)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (2016-2019)
- Government Practice (2016-2019).
- I am also ranked on the Australian Doyle's Guide as a 'Pre-eminent' Queensland front-end Construction Lawyer (2017-2019).
To ensure that my clients receive the most current and informed professional advice, I am an active member of many legal, engineering and contracting professional bodies including:
- editorial board of the Australian Construction Law Bulletin (ACLB) (since 2012)
- Queensland Major Contractors Association (since 2007)
- course coordinator and sessional lecturer in Construction Law at the University of Queensland (since 2016).
- Brisbane Airport Corporation – lead partner assisting BAC with all legal aspects of designing and constructing the $1.4bn parallel runway
- Herston Quarter – lead construction partner for Australian Unity to redevelop a five-hectare site within the Herston Health Precinct – a $1.1bn project to deliver a mixed-use community which will cater for health, residential, commercial and retail development
- Brisbane Showgrounds – lead construction partner on the $3bn regeneration project over a 15-year period. The size of the project is 22 hectares and represents the largest brownfield development of its kind in Australia
- Sydney Metro – lead Brisbane partner acting for Aqualand on its bid for the Waterloo Station Integrated Station Development
- Rio Tinto Aluminium – lead Brisbane Partner role in providing legal services in relation to Amrun Mine, a new $2.6bn bauxite mine being developed south of the Embley River near Weipa in Queensland
- Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads – lead partner to draft a standard form contract used by the Department for all transport infrastructure procurement and for outsourcing road asset maintenance to the private sector
- Gold Coast Light Rail – lead Brisbane Partner role to provide advice regarding Queensland building legislation to a joint venture partner in GoldLinQ, the successful contractor engaged to build a $1.6bn, 13km light rail corridor servicing the Gold Coast
- Moreton Bay Rail Project – lead Brisbane Partner role in advising the successful contractor for this landmark $1.6bn project for 14km of double track rail, a grade separated rail connection to the Caboolture line, 22 bridge structures, 6 new rail stations and stabling for 10 x 6-car consists
- Brisbane City Council – lead partner to advise BCC on a very significant and complex information technology contract dispute using the Government Information Technology Contracting form of contract
- Springfield Private Hospital – lead partner for Mater Misericordiae Health Services to draft a Managing Contractor Contract for stage one of this project which involved the construction of an 80-bed, seven level, 10,000 m2 facility
- Fluor Australia Pty Ltd – lead partner to advise Fluor on its EPC contract for gas field development in the Surat and Bowen Basins and a 420km gas transmission pipeline including the handling of very significant claims
- Aurizon – lead partner to act for Australia’s largest rail freight operator with many types of long-term rolling stock maintenance agreements, rail crossing deeds, rail transport agreements and wagon hire agreements
- Acted many clients with EPC contracts and O&M contracts in relation to LNG projects, power stations, solar farms and wind farms in Australia and Southeast Asia
- Acted for developers and contractors designing and constructing high-rise residential and commercial buildings, including integrated fit-out arrangements and complicated third party arrangements
- Acted for many clients in adjudication claims under the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 (Qld) (including subcontractors’ charges claims) and claims made in the Supreme Court of Queensland, as well as guided clients through many different alternative dispute resolution processes