I view disputes as business problems with legal aspects – if the commercial aspects can be resolved, the legal issues tend to follow. It is crucial to direct resources at the issues that truly matter.
I have regularly acted as an advocate and mediator. I enjoy devising time- and cost-effective ways to resolve disputes and thinking laterally to overcome issues.
- Commonwealth and Western Australian governments – advised on defending judicial review proceedings regarding an offshore exploration licence
- Acted in litigation on behalf of insurers arising from the Roleystone bushfires of 2011
- Represented a Chinese state-owned enterprise in an international arbitration about a mining project in Western Australia
- Advised a high-profile Middle Eastern defendant facing a claim of $10.5 billion in civil proceedings in six countries and criminal proceedings in two
- Acted in an international arbitration regarding the railway system of Kenya and Uganda
- Advised on disputes about highly complex credit derivatives
- Qualified as a solicitor advocate in England and Wales – one of the first solicitors to do so – as well as in the British Virgin Islands
- Former Co-Chair of the IBA's Litigation Commitee
- Listed in Best Lawyers, Doyles' Guide and Who's Who Legal for dispute resolution, asset recovery and litigation thought leadership
I recognise the importance of our pro bono work. My pro bono work includes conducting prosecutions for the RSPCA in Western Australia, acting for the Western Australian Men’s Shed Association and the administrators of an Aboriginal corporation, all on a pro bono basis.