As part of my practice, I regularly advise domestic and international fund managers on establishing, structuring, promoting and marketing funds. Clients value my specialist expertise in capital markets, fund raisings, managed funds work, and mergers and acquisitions.
In addition, I also assist listed and unlisted Australian real estate investment trusts, advising on floats, low doc rights issues and institutional placements.
- A sovereign wealth fund – advised on its acquisition of interests in Barangaroo’s Tower One development in Sydney
- AMP Capital – assisted with its retail and wholesale managed funds, including capital raisings for the Wholesale Office Fund and Shopping Centre Fund
- Cromwell – established its wholesale funds platform and retail syndicate platform, assisted with the acquisition of the Cromwell Property Fund, and managed all capital raisings since its roll-up, stapling and listing
- Indigenous Business Australia – helped establish and launch Australia’s first Indigenous real estate investment trust
- Swiss Reinsurance Company Limited – assisted with the launch of a $1 billion global infrastructure fund targeting Mainland Chinese investors
- California Public Employees’ Retirement System ¬– advised, in partnership with QIC, on a $1 billion investment in Asia-Pacific infrastructure, which involved complex, cross-border trust law and tax considerations
- Advised on the acquisition of the Westpac Office Trust and the listed Mirvac Industrial Real Estate Trust, as well as the sale of the Mirvac Wholesale Hotel Trust, including 42 associated hotel management business and ownership interests
- Listed by Chambers Asia-Pacific in Band 1 for Investment Funds, from 2012 to 2016
Recent publications include:
- Battaglia, V & Johnson S 2016, ‘FINSights: New fund rules to remove Australian investment barriers’, MinterEllison
- Battaglia, V, Capodistrias, P, Johnson, S & Lawson, M 2016, ‘MinterEllison Alert | Australian Federal Budget 2016-2017 - New collective investment vehicles’, MinterEllison