I advise on a range of legal issues covering marketing, (including social networking), advertising, promotions, PR and talent; data protection and privacy, breach of confidence, credit reporting and cyber security and resilience; online reputation management and social media; sports and gambling regulation; tracking and surveillance; defamation, copyright and contempt risks and claims and development of data related technology services.
I work with a wide range of clients in the media, digital, government, sports, not for profit, education, gambling and health sectors both nationally and internationally. My objective is to achieve swift, pragmatic and innovative legal solutions on matters that are sensitive for reputational and regulatory reasons in.
I am invited to speak at professional and industry forums and regularly provide training to client on content related risks and crisis management.
- BuzzFeed Australia; Crikey!; Bloomberg and Fairfax Media – pre-publication and copyright clearance advice, social media content risks, defended contempt charges and access to journalist sources and court appearances opposing suppression orders
- Nib – advised on privacy and content risks relating to the launch of its provider review website Whitecoat
- DHHS – advised on the use of body worn cameras and developed a model policy and set of procedure
- Melbourne Airport – advised on development of CCTV policy and guidelines
- Cancer Council Victoria - advise on all aspects of its privacy compliance including use and access to Cancer Registry data and ABC Study research project, overseas data transfers
- CPA Australia – advised on broadcasting and related agreements, talent waivers and copyright claims for The Conversation by CEO Alex Malley and US media use of recorded interview with Neil Armstrong
- University of Melbourne – advise on privacy issues in relation to research projects such as PATRON, advised on the application of Classification laws to use of research materials, defended breach of confidence action against Centre for Advancing Journalism publications and advised on copyright, defamation and privacy issues in connection with the assignment of Germain Greer works to University Archive and use of works for research and online publication.
- Collingwood Football Club – privacy, content and marketing advice, partnership arrangements, talent waivers and consents, application of AFL commercial guidelines, and the development of the Magic Millions product
- Australian Football League – advised on the Essendon drug supplement investigation and the anti doping tribunal process (in particular, the management of player data and Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority powers)
- Rights to Privacy Albury Facebook page – defended member of community organisation in defamation proceedings relating to various Facebook posts
- Transport Accident Commission – advise on all aspects of it social media presence and risks and use of social media influencers
- Australian Bankers’ Association – helped develop the banking industry protocol for checking banking employee and financial adviser references
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation – advised on invasion of privacy and related claims, resulting in the decision in Jane Doe v Australian Broadcasting Corporation (2007) and defamation claim against The Checkout
I provide pro bono legal assistance and training to community groups through Justice Connect, to help participants manage social media legal risks and defend defamation claims:
- Melbourne Press Club: board director
- ScriptWise Limited (formerly DoctorShopping Limited): company director and secretary
- Law Council of Australia Media & Communications Committee, Business Law Section: member
- iappANZ: Board Director, Vice-President and Co-Editor of the Privacy Unbound journal
- Australian Law Reform Commission inquiry into Serious Invasions of Privacy in the Digital Age: advisory committee member