I have successfully represented clients in copyright, trademark, confidential information, passing off, and Australian Consumer Law disputes, including in the Federal Court, High Court, and Copyright Tribunal of Australia. I have significant experience in copyright licensing disputes and have represented numerous clients, both copyright owners and users, in negotiations and proceedings in the Copyright Tribunal. I am also the current President of the Copyright Society of Australia.
I take pride in my accurate, timely advice and client-friendly, collaborative approach.
- Advise all Government, Catholic and Independent schools nationally, as well as TAFEs, in relation to their compliance with Australia's copyright laws and issues arising out of the statutory and voluntary copyright licences applicable to educational institutions.
- Acted in the first Federal Court proceedings involving what was a new and un-tested section of the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) (Section 115A) that allows internet service providers to be ordered to block pirate websites. I have acted in a number of site-blocking proceedings since this time.
- Acted in High Court proceedings in which the record industry challenged the statutory cap on licence fees for broadcasting sound recordings on radio.
- Represented a number of industries – including education, subscription television, free-to-air television, video on demand, fitness centres and nightclubs – in negotiations and disputes with collecting societies. Represented a copyright collecting society in Copyright Tribunal proceedings in relation to the rates payable for the use of their members' copyright works.
- Successfully defended a cosmetics company against allegations of trade mark infringement, an appeal from a decision of the Trade Marks Office, misleading and deceptive conduct, passing off and contraventions of the Therapeutic Goods Act.
- Helped an eyewear supplier defend and initiate a number of misleading advertising cases under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).
- Actively involved in MinterEllison’s pro-bono program, having assisted with projects for the Arts Law Centre of Australia, Camp Quality, Biennale of Sydney and KidsXpress.