I have successfully represented clients in disputes involving copyright, trademarks and confidential information – as well as passing off actions and similar matters arising under the Australian Consumer Law – in the Federal Court of Australia, High Court of Australia and Copyright Tribunal of Australia.
I take pride in my accurate, timely advice and client-friendly approach.
- Foxtel – acted for the company in one of the first Federal Court proceedings to block content pirate websites isoHunt, The Pirate Bay, Torrentz and TorrentHound. This involved a new and untested section of the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) (section 115A) that allows internet service providers to be ordered to block pirate websites.
- Commercial Radio Australia – successfully represented the company in High Court proceedings in which the record industry challenged the statutory cap on licence fees for broadcasting sound recordings on radio.
- Assisted with negotiating industry-based copyright licences and advising clients on negotiations with collecting societies, including clients such as Commercial Radio Australia, the Copyright Advisory Group to the Council of Australian Governments Education Council, Fitness First Australia, Foxtel, Fox Interactive Media/MySpace, Free TV Australia, Google/YouTube and Stan Entertainment.
- Worked in MinterEllison teams that acted for the Australian Hotels Association, Clubs Australia, Fitness Australia and Foxtel in separate Copyright Tribunal proceedings in relation to the rates payable for the use of copyright-protected material by them or their members.
- National Copyright Unit – act in relation to issues arising out of the statutory and voluntary copyright licences applicable to educational institutions.
- Specsavers – helped the eyewear supplier defend and initiate a number of misleading advertising cases under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).
- Actively involved in MinterEllison’s pro bono program, having assisted with projects for the Arts Law Centre of Australia, Camp Quality, Biennale of Sydney and KidsXpress.