For more than a decade, I have assisted clients to navigate a range of insolvency and restructuring matters. I work with companies, financiers and insolvency practitioners, and also advise public stakeholders and assist in strategic planning and negotiations with parties experiencing financial distress.
I also assist investors in negotiating appropriate frameworks in which to acquire and restructure distressed businesses.
I have extensive experience acting in a broad range of litigious and non-litigious disputes, including sensitive and high profile litigation and inquiries, including a number of High Court hearings.
I pride myself on achieving practical, commercial solutions, and creating a positive lasting impact for the clients that I work with. Clients value my judgment and ability to manage highly confidential and complex matters with clarity, calmness, efficiency, and skill.
More broadly, I am a member of the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA), the Turnaround Management Association of Australia (TMA) and the Law Council of Australia's Insolvency and Restructuring Committee.
- Tsing Capital: Advised the successful DOCA proponent in relation to the acquisition and restructure of the McWilliams' Wines Group, including in relation to a successful s 444GA application to acquire 100% of the shares in McWilliams.
- SKM restructure: Acted for the State of Victoria in relation to the collapse of SKM, including providing advice to government and acting in negotiations with receivers appointed to one of Victoria's significant recycling providers.
- Korda Mentha: Successfully negotiated the sale of distressed debt and the cessation of a receivership in relation to a high profile property development group, and the compromise of related Supreme Court litigation against a secured lender.
- Coomboona Dairy: Acted for Ferrier Hodgson as administrators and deed administrators of Coomboona (a significant dairy producer).
- Burrup Fertilisers: Acted for PPB in their capacity as receivers of the high profile Burrup Fertilisers business.
- Lawyer X: Acted in the entirely suppressed Supreme and High Court proceedings concerning the applicability of public interest immunity to the identity of Lawyer X, which prompted the Royal Commission into the management of police informants.
- Prime Trust: Successfully defended a $60 million Supreme Court Proceeding against a major property group, arising out of the insolvent collapse of the Prime Trust. Also acted in related proceedings against 35 defendants.
- Regulatory investigations: Acted in a number of significant regulatory investigations, including on behalf of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, and also in a range of civil penalty proceedings.
- Major Universities: Advised several universities in relation to exposures in relation to key and financially distressed service providers.
- State of Victoria: Acted in relation to a substantial compensation claim raised by an aggrieved party in respect of a decision to terminate a tender process.