This ranges from general tax advice, Australian Taxation Office (ATO) reviews and audits through to litigation. I have also represented the ATO in tax appeals before the Federal Court of Australia and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
I maintain a strong working relationship with the Australian Taxation Commissioner and the Commissioner’s team — whether acting for or against them in proceedings. This gives me a unique perspective on managing our clients’ relationships with the ATO, and formulating strategies to achieve the best outcome at the earliest opportunity.
- Chevron Australia Holdings Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation (2013–2017) – instructing solicitor for the Commissioner in this landmark case involving intra-group loans and transfer pricing
- Resource Capital Fund No lll v Commissioner of Taxation (2013–2014) and Resource Capital Fund IV and V v Commissioner of Taxation (2015–2017) – dealt with matters involving taxable Australian real property and tax treaties
- An Australian listed top 20 company - management and settlement of a two year tax audit of involving seven discrete tax issues
- A large multinational pharmaceutical company – managed a tax audit, concerning general deduction provisions, Part IVA and transfer pricing
- A property developer – managed and settled a tax audit regarding funding arrangements, trading stock valuations and associated matters
- Airport Link Holdings Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation (2015) – dealt with rights to future income and tax consolidation. The matter settled
- High-wealth taxpayers – represented clients in investigations related to Project Wickenby regarding alleged hidden offshore income, and negotiated a resolution with the ATO
- Provided pro bono legal assistance since 2013, as a non executive director of Lifeline Harbour to Hawkesbury, and as an ambassador for the Vinnies CEO Sleepout
- Practised in London, Singapore and Australia