Through involvement in numerous tax community committees and memberships, I bring my clients new and innovative perspectives based on the latest thinking.
My interest in energy, resources and climate change is complemented by the PhD I am currently pursuing in nuclear fusion research.
- A multinational mining company – advised on the Australian tax implications of a $2.5 billion debt assignment, including commercial debt forgiveness, foreign exchange rules, limited recourse loan provisions, stamp duty and taxation of financial arrangements
- Coal industry bodies and others – advised on various aspects of the research and development (R&D) tax incentive, including obtaining class rulings on mining company contributors’ ability to access the incentive for low-emissions technologies research, development and demonstration
- A US-based client – provided guidance in relation to debt and equity rules, amendments to capital allowances rules, thin capitalisation rules and stamp duty. This included seeking a private ruling on debt, equity and capital allowances rules, which was the first private ruling to discuss the meaning of the term ‘financing arrangement’
- A multinational mining company – successfully resolved a $20 million stamp duty dispute in relation to corporate reconstruction relief, which included developing a novel argument that was accepted by the Office of State Revenue
- A Queensland liquefied natural gas company – helped with all aspects of compliance with the former carbon pricing mechanism. This included internal and external pass-through of carbon costs, and preparing submissions on drafting and amending the Clean Energy Act 2008 (Qld)
- Advised on GST, stamp duty and income tax consequences of substantial infrastructure construction on State-owned land
- Recognised by Doyles Guide as a leading tax lawyer in Queensland
- Recommended by Best Lawyers for expertise in tax
- Recently listed as one of three Rising Stars nationally in the tax law category in The Legal 500 in 2020. The Legal 500 said 'Brisbane-based special counsel Craig Bowie is a name to watch in the corporate tax space'.