My regulatory practice draws upon an extensive and unique mix of transactional experience with both the private and the public sectors. Working on M&A and real estate deals as well as major projects, I work with clients to successfully navigate Australia’s foreign investment and commercial regimes.
I most enjoy the intersection of law and politics - particularly on sensitive and high-profile FIRB and procurement matters – as well as working with a broader advisory team to help clients achieve their commercial objectives.
- I have advised on and obtained prior clearance through the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) on hundreds of Australian and offshore M&A, real estate and government transactions. In doing so, I work closely with my tax and competition colleagues to provide a total regulatory clearance solution.
- Key recent transactions include those related to S Kidman and Co and Australian Outback Beef; Endeavour Energy and Advanced Energy; Hometown Australia and Gateway Lifestyle Villages; AT&T and Time Warner; Frasers Hospitality Trust; Baring and SAI Global; Hitachi and Bradken; Ascendas Logistics Trust; and the MAP Capital and EFM portfolio.
- I have also helped clients obtain and report on exemption certificates, including for programs of land acquisitions and off-the-plan sales – as well as undertake audits of historical transactions to test compliance.
- Outside of the FIRB regime, I work on numerous major projects and M&A deals across all sectors of the Australian economy.
- Recent highlights include working on significant procurement projects for clients such as Fr. Lurssen Werft; Rheinmetall Defence Australia; Fincantieri, Kongsberg Gruppen and the Commonwealth of Australia, as well as M&A/joint venture transactions for ActewAGL, Aspen Medical, Australian National University, SRC Inc and the University of Canberra.