Building on my background as an experienced corporate lawyer, I advise clients on evolving corporate governance matters, including ESG (environmental, social and governance); directors' duties in managing profit and purpose; modern slavery; and the intersection of business and human rights. I have a particular interest in governance and compliance in the financial services sector, including in areas of key risk and governance such as anti-money laundering and whistle-blower protection.
I am a specialist in the area of governance for purpose-driven and impact businesses. I am legal adviser to B Lab, a non-profit advocating for a statutory model in Australia for purpose-led companies and their boards. I closely follow developments in corporate governance laws and practice in Australia and internationally. I draw upon the latest thinking in this area when advising clients on governance issues and transactions.
- I advised a major bank on an APRA-mandated self-assessment into its governance, accountability and culture policies and frameworks across its Australian operations.
- I was seconded to a major bank working on its engagement with and responses to ASIC’s Close and Continuous Monitoring Program.
- I advised Impact Investing Australia, the operating arm of the Australian Advisory Board on Impact Investing, which provides leadership and strategy to government on the development of impact investing in Australia. I acted for IIA in its role as administrator of the government-funded Sector Readiness Fund and Impact Investment Ready Growth Grant Program, which promotes capability-building in Australia's impact economy.
- I act for the Australian arm of B Lab, a global not-for profit organisation behind benefit corporations, which campaigns and advocates for corporate law reform to establish alternative governance models for profit-for-purpose companies.
- I advise client across all sectors, including construction, education, finance, health, infrastructure, property, manufacturing, mining, retail and utilities, on supply-chain governance and preparation for Australia's new modern slavery reporting laws.
- I advised an Aboriginal corporation as managing partner and founding member of the world's first academic health science centre focussed on advancing Aboriginal health, including establishing appropriate corporate form and governance frameworks and advising on funding arrangements with the Commonwealth Government.
- I advised Baker Health and Diabetes Institute on the sale of shares in not-for-profit clinical research company Nucleus Networks Limited to private equity buyer Crescent Capital Partners.
- My cross-border experience ensures I am familiar with the issues that are key to foreign companies investing in Australia and Australian companies operating across Asia. Having spent almost a decade working in Asia, my expertise extends to areas essential to multinational clients in the Greater China region, including data privacy, competition and consumer law, anti-corruption and bribery matters, and brand and IP protection.
- I am co-author of the Hong Kong chapters of Joint Ventures Global Guide, International Business Acquisitions and Competition Law in the Asia-Pacific.
- I am admitted as a solicitor in Victoria and New South Wales, Australia; Hong Kong; and the United Kingdom.