I have extensive experience in planning, acting for a large number of local government and private clients. I enjoy liaising with all parties to achieve early and successful resolution of matters, but also forcefully prosecute matters in Court when necessary. I enjoy providing strategic advice to facilitate development, on the assessment process, and advising on building safety and compliance, enforcement matters (both civil and criminal), and appearing as counsel in planning appeals.
As the head of MinterEllison SA's local government practice, I take great pride in our close involvement with that sector.
My other passion is environmental law where I work closely with a range of industries advising on liability (for pollution incidents and site contamination), commercial and transaction risk (including due diligence and transaction documents), enforcement and investigations (civil and criminal), prevention (management programs, registers, training), and obtaining authorisations (particularly for large scale projects where multiple authorisations are required).
I enjoy working closely with a range of industries from mining and quarrying, mining services, waste, government (at all levels), agriculture, education, manufacturing and processing (including food).
I am also regularly briefed as counsel in defending enforcement and criminal proceedings. Clients also regularly utilise his experience to provide training and to prepare critical documents such as management programs, registers, and impact assessments.
I also have a focus that includes liquor and gaming licensing, compulsory acquisition, and freedom of information. My liquor licensing and gaming experience extends from conducting applications for new and redefined licences (including representation in Court and at conciliation conferences), to advising on commercial transactions involving liquor and gaming licences and preparing relevant transfer documents.
- Regularly assisting both local government and private clients through the development assessment system and appearing as counsel in the Environment, Resources & Development Court and Supreme Court.
- Acting for various quarry and mine operators, such as Boral Resources, CSR Limited, and LaFargeHolcim in a range of planning, environmental and mining issues, appearing as counsel in the Wardens Court and in planning appeals, and liaising with regulators in respect to obtaining and management of authorisations.
- Advising Walker Corporation on the planning aspects of the Festival Plaza and the Buckland Park developments, including extensive planning and environmental due diligence, advising on Adelaide Parkland impacts, and aspects of the major development assessment process.
- Advising Stockland on various highest and best use opportunities and the development assessment process.
- Regularly assisting clients in environmental proceedings, from investigations, information requests, interviews of employees and officers, negotiation of civil penalties, defence of civil enforcement and enforcement orders, and criminal prosecutions. Clients have included SA Power Networks, Xstrata Glencore, Flinders Power Partnership, Mayne Pharmaceuticals, EnLog Pacific Holdings, and Marshall Power.
- Advising on all planning and environment issues in the extremely complex long term lease of Darwin Port transaction, including due diligence, advising on risk, and preparation of transaction documents.
- Successfully challenging acquisition notices and compensation offered to clients such as Toll Holdings, Cheetham Salt Limited, and a range of other private clients in relation to the South Road expansion, North South Connector and other metropolitan and regional projects.
- Training - regularly providing training on all aspects of the planning system to local government and private planners, Council Assessment Panels, and various industry associations. I also provide training on environmental liability and management, as well as teaching environmental and planning law.