I have extensive experience in planning, acting for a large number of local government and private clients. I enjoy advising my valued clients on planning assessment and process, building and safety, and the full range of compliance and enforcement matters (both civil and criminal). As the head of MinterEllison SA/NT's local government practice, I take great pride in our close involvement with that sector.
My other passion is environmental law where I work closely with a range of industries advising on liability (for pollution incidents and site contamination), commercial and transaction risk (including due diligence and transaction documents), enforcement and investigations (civil and criminal), prevention (management programs, registers, training), and obtaining authorisations. I enjoy working closely with a range of industries from mining and quarrying, mining services, waste, government (both state and local), agriculture, manufacturing and processing (including food).
The work I undertake in other areas of regulatory law is extremely important to me. This includes compulsory acquisition, liquor licensing and gaming, community and strata titling, and freedom of information.
- Regularly assisting both local government and private clients through the development assessment system, including advice on site suitability, application strategy, public notification and classification, variations, and preparation of documents (such as Land Management Agreements).
- My extensive experience appearing as counsel in the Environment, Resources & Development Court and Supreme Court successfully acting for both local government and private clients in a full range of planning appeals, applications, enforcement and judicial review proceedings.
- Training - regularly providing training on all aspects of the planning system to local government and private planners, Development Assessment Panels, and various industry associations. I also provide training on environmental liability and management, as well as teaching environmental and planning law.
- Advising on all planning and environment issues in the extremely complex sale of Darwin Port transaction, including due diligence, advising on risk, and preparation of transaction documents.
- Acting for Boral Limited in a legal project management capacity for a major development, appearing as counsel in a successful planning appeal, liaising with the EPA and Department of Mining on authorisations and responsibility, and appearing as counsel in the revocation of various private mine rights.
- Successfully defending Xstrata Glencore in criminal proceedings for alleged offences under the Mining Management Act.
- Successfully acted for EnLog Pacific Holdings in defending alleged offences under the Explosives Act.
- Regularly assisting clients in environmental proceedings, from investigations, information requests, interviews of employees and officers, negotiation of civil penalties, defence of civil enforcement and enforcement orders, and criminal prosecutions. Clients have included Flinders Power, Marshall Power and Mayne Pharmaceuticals.
- Successfully challenging acquisition notices and compensation offered to clients such as Toll Holdings, Cheetham Salt Limited, and a range of other private clients in relation to the South Road expansion, North South Connector and other projects.