I have more than a decade of court and tribunal advocacy experience, and I regularly appear in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal as an advocate.
I enjoy engaging with clients in the quality control and analysis of administrative decisions, and presenting to clients on the topic of sound decision making processes.
I have also worked extensively for both government and non-government clients in respect of liability claims, and in respect of workers' compensation and other statutory compensation claims at both the Commonwealth and State level.
- I manage large and vibrant teams in Sydney and Brisbane focusing on government and administrative law litigation for a range of government clients, and I also manage a team in Sydney focusing on workers' compensation and statutory compensation.
- I have provided advice to, and appeared on behalf of, a range of government and statutory corporation clients, including the Department of Defence, the Department of Human Services, the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Federal Police, Sydney Water Corporation, the Australian Postal Corporation, the Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission, Comcare and Comcover Member Services.
- Since 2007, I have worked closely with what is now called the Department of Home Affairs, in judicial and merits review proceedings before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia. I continually engage in analysis, synthesis and knowledge management of the large number of decisions handed down under the terms of Home Affairs' portfolio legislation. I've been involved in a large scale external quality control process for Home Affairs, involving review and analysis of administrative decisions made by delegates of the Minister. This project involved close analysis of individual administrative decisions, and also meta-analysis of those decisions as a cohort.
- I have over 12 years' experience conducting litigation for and providing advice to a number of clients in the field of Commonwealth workers' compensation, in proceedings before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia. I have also drafted, analysed and provided advice in respect of a number of primary and reconsideration decisions for those clients
- I have been appointed as, and acted as, amicus curiae before the Federal Court of Australia, to assist with the interpretation of Commonwealth legislation.