I love variety. I regularly work with government and insurer clients to advise on indemnity issues and defend claims. I help trouble-shoot contractual indemnity and risk allocation issues for many commercial clients. I provide crisis and claims support to a number of schools and not-for-profit entities.
It's a critical time for insurers, businesses, government entities and institutions to be thinking about and responding to risk. I particularly enjoy helping our clients navigate the various phases of risk – anticipating risks, taking preventative measures, responding when a risk materialises, defending or settling claims, managing claims portfolios and working out what can be done to manage future risk.
- Working with schools, churches and insurers to manage highly sensitive issues including child protection matters, bullying, abuse, assaults and media enquiries.
- Effective use of ADR – some of my greatest career highlights have occurred in mediations and settlement conferences or on the doorstep of court.
- Success for the Australian Federal Police – successfully defended a claim alleging excessive use of force and false imprisonment and obtained an award of indemnity costs in my client's favour.
- Win for auditors – secured judgment in favour of insured auditors (with indemnity costs) where allegations included fraud, breach of contract, negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Interstate cable severed – negotiated a favourable result in a multi-party Supreme Court recovery claim in relation to a severed interstate telecommunications cable on a construction site, which required emergency measures to contain loss of service, revenue, business and reputation.
- Getting the money to the right place – advised in relation to a claim on a life insurance policy by a joint policyholder and beneficiary who had been charged with the murder of the other policyholder.
- Community Investment Program – 13+ years volunteering, including for the Homeless Persons’ Legal Clinic and Self-Representation Service.
- Glenala State High School – 5+ years facilitating the Aspirations mentoring program.