I have expertise in providing commercial and financial structuring advice for real estate transactions and cover all taxation issues related to property development structures, joint ventures, in-bound real estate investment and establishing real estate trusts.
I am recognised in leading directory Chambers Global as “one of the best stamp duty lawyers in Australia” and am consistently recognised as a leading lawyer in Chamber Asia Pacific and Best Lawyers: Australia. I am recognised as a property industry expert, primarily through my involvement in the Property Council of Australia, where I Chair two tax committees, am on the Build to Rent Roundtable and the tax committee for the Retirement Living Council, and am on the NSW Division Council.
- Australian Unity: Advised Australian Unity on all tax aspects of the $1.1 billion Herston Quarter project involving the development of health, hospital, aged care and retirement facilities in Brisbane's CBD.
- Queensland and NSW Governments: Advised on the stamp duty consequences for bidders of the Ports of Brisbane, Botany, Kembla privatisations which impacted on the pricing of their bids, and assisted with drafting relevant legislation to ensure stamp duty efficiency.
- Dexus Property Group: Advised on the acquisition and development of 470A and 480 Queen St in Brisbane and Kings Square in Perth.
- Mirvac Group: Advised on the $414 million takeover of Westpac Office Trust, an ASX listed trust holding, the $365 million takeover of Mirvac Real Estate Investment Trust (MREIT), the acquisition of Birkenhead Point Shopping Centre and various residential developments.
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate: Advised on the A$6.6 billion (enterprise value) acquisition by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Funds of the stapled Investa Property Group, consisting of Investa Property Trust and Investa Properties Limited.
- AMP Capital Investors: Advised on a number of merger CBD commercial property sales and acquisitions, including the stamp duty and GST structuring of the transactions.
- Qantas Airways Limited: Advised on the sale of Terminal 3 back to Sydney Airports.