I have substantial experience in patent disputes in areas such as pharmaceutical compounds and processes, business methods, methods of treatment, mobile telecommunications, financial services, multi-valent vaccines, mechanical devices, heavy engineering, industrial refrigerants and various consumer goods. I am experienced in acting in substantial multi-jurisdictional patent disputes for patentees and revokers, both in the Federal, Full Federal Court and Australian Patent Office.
I also advise clients on strategic patent licensing issues and especially where relationships become strained or disintegrate and IP ownership disputes arise.
I am also a registered trade marks attorney and manages the trade mark protection needs of a range of Australian and International clients.
In conjunction with my Australian litigation expertise, I hold a masters degree in computing, a diploma in IP Law and am also qualified to practise in England and Wales. I put my computing Masters to use in regularly advising clients in IT disputes.
- I obtained the first judgment in Australia where a patent infringer was ordered to pay 'additional damages' due to the flagrancy of the infringement.
- Another of my patent clients obtained the first judgment in Australia to confirm that a 'spring board' injunction could be granted to prevent the sale of non-infringing products.
- I successfully acted for Sweet Rewards in its defence of a claim brought by Mars Australia in the Federal Court and on appeal in the Full Federal Court. The matter was cited by Asia IP as a ‘case of the year’.
- Regularly advising pro bono clients on their trade mark and copyright matters, including leading the successful legal team in the very urgent High Court challenge to invalidate certain sections of the Commonwealth's electoral legislation before the 2010 federal election. The 4:3 finding of the High Court held the sections invalid and approximately 110,000 potential voters were able to enrol to vote.
Awards & recognition
- Leading Individual, Intellectual Property (Patents) - Chambers Asia Pacific: 2018, 2017, 2016
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 (APL500) regards Robert Cooper as 'client-focused, pragmatic and having significant respect throughout the industry'
- Leading Individual, The International Who's Who Legal - Patents: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013
- Leading Individual, The International Who's Who Legal - Life Sciences: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook (Australia): – Trade mark star, Patent star: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
- Leading individual, IAM1000, The World's Leading Patent Professionals: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013
- Robert Cooper is regarded as a 'calm, strategic thinker' - IAM1000, The World's Leading Patent Professionals: 2015
- Leading individual, WTR1000, The World's Leading Trademark Professionals: 2018, 2017
- Silver Ranking Leading Individual – Enforcement and Litigation, WTR 1000 – World Trade Mark Review: 2015, 2014. Robert Cooper is a 'bright strategic thinker' whose 'reliable and timely advice' covers branding, trademark disputes and a host of other IP issues - WTR 1000 – World Trade Mark Review: 2015 Robert Cooper is 'dedicated and determined, with brilliant technical legal skills' - WTR 1000 – World Trade Mark Review: 2014
- Recommended – Intellectual Property, Best Lawyers: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
- Recommended – Biotechnology Law, Best Lawyers: 2019, 2018
- Leading Individual, World IP Review: WIPR Leaders - Patent Leaders: 2018, 2017
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2013
- IAM's The Worlds Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers 2010