My areas of practice span private M&A and capital transactions involving a broad range of real estate assets and holding structures, joint venture and shareholder arrangements and general commercial contracting. I am strategic and commercial in my focus and skilled at leading and coordinating large transaction teams on complex matters to bring the best of MinterEllison to each transaction.
My work in the real estate sector has involved advising on some of the largest transactions in the Australian market, including the two largest hotel portfolio transactions with properties across multiple jurisdictions and the Port of Melbourne privatisation. I have experience in capital transactions across the diverse sectors of the real estate and hospitality industries, including aged care, renewable energy, hospitality and gaming.
My work in the private wealth sector has involved advising high net worth individuals, founders and families on their businesses, including exit and partial sell down transactions.
- Salter Brothers Asset Management: Co-lead of the transaction team advising in relation to a range of acquisitions, including:
- 2021 - the Salter Brothers Hospitality Real Estate Fund acquisition of the $620m Travelodge hotel property portfolio comprising 11 hotels across multiple jurisdictions (including the Travelodge Martin Place, Wynyard, Wentworth Avenue in Sydney and Southbank in Melbourne) from a property trust joint venture structure of Mirvac and NRMA. This fund is backed by Salter Brothers, GIC and Partners Group;
- 2015 – the Salter Brothers Hotel Group acquisition of the ~$500m Eureka hotel property portfolio comprising 7 hotels across multiple jurisdictions (including the Intercontinental Melbourne, Crowne Plaza Melbourne, Crowne Plaza Coogee, Crowne Plaza Canberra and Holiday Inn Potts Point) from Eureka Funds Management and subsequent hotel fund acquisitions including Hyatt Brisbane and Voco Gold Coast.
- Victorian Government: Led the transaction team on the multi-billion dollar privatisation of the Port of Melbourne, Australia's largest container port.
- CapitaLand: Advised on a capital transaction involving the divestment of a commercial logistics asset by Ascendas REIT.
- Vestas: Advised in relation to the acquisition of various greenfield wind farm development sites across Australian jurisdictions.
- Collingwood Football Club and Footscray Football Club: Advised both Clubs in relation to the divestment of their Victorian gaming venues to Melbourne Racing Club.
- Purplebricks: Advised Purplebricks real estate on its 2019 exit from the Australian market.
- Bellamy’s Australia Limited: Advised Bellamy’s in relation to a number of transactions, including its $28.5m acquisition of a Victorian canning line facility, and the acquisition of infant milk formulation and associated manufacturing arrangements across Australia, New Zealand and the People's Republic of China.
- Lion Dairy and Drinks: Co-advised Tanarra Capital in relation to its 2020 bid for the ~$500m Lion Dairy and Drinks though a competitive process.
- Private wealth: Advised on founder exits, sell downs and other commercial transactions across the private wealth sector, including the sell down of Rollease Acmeda to US private equity, and the sale of Plantic Technologies to Japan-based Kuraray and Wittner.
- International: Advised a number of international clients in relation to their Australian investments, including the 2021 sale of Komatsu's US and Australian conveyor business to Sellex Capital, and the 2020 sale of Outokumpu's coil services business to Midway Metals, Franke and Epiroc / Atlas Copco.
I am MinterEllison's relationship partner for Australian Unity.
I also manage a number of MinterEllison's pro bono relationships, including Ovarian Cancer Australia and Smiling Mind.