I enjoy the technical aspects of construction projects and working with clients to understand the commercial drivers behind the way in which they deliver projects. I regularly advise on live project issues in order to assist with effective contract administration, the implementation of dispute resolution strategies and the resolution of disputes through adjudication, executive negotiation, mediation, expert determination, arbitration and litigation.
I have advised clients in litigation to Court of Appeal level in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and acted on domestic and international arbitrations seated in Sydney, Paris, London and Geneva spanning a number of industry sectors under the ACICA, ICC, LCIA and ICSID rules.
I have gained significant experience in construction and infrastructure disputes by acting on matters arising from the design, construction, operation or facilities management of commercial and residential buildings, mixed-use developments, residential aged care facilities, hospitals, correctional facilities, offshore wind farms, solar farms, oil and gas pipelines, combined cycle power plants, gas-fired power and desalination plants, natural gas processing plants, iron ore mining infrastructure, hydroelectric dams, roads, tunnels, bridges and railways in diverse project locations such as Australia, New Zealand, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Bulgaria, Italy, United Kingdom, Dubai, Oman, Kuwait, Nepal, Afghanistan and Ethiopia.
- Acting on the defence of a cross-claim for damages arising from alleged mechanical defects in the ventilation system of a motorway tunnel in multi-party litigation in the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Acting for the NSW Government in respect of an expert determination concerning the valuation of variations and delay costs arising out of a rail project in New South Wales.
- Providing ongoing legal advice to a managing contractor on procurement, contract administration and dispute avoidance strategies during the construction of a high-end mixed-use commercial and residential development in Sydney.
- Acting for a power and automation company in respect of disputes arising from its contract for the provision of equipment for a combined cycle power plant in the Northern Territory, including in respect of adjudication, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal proceedings.
- Regularly advising clients on PPP projects, including advising a technology company in respect of a dispute regarding defective works and delay on a hospital project in Queensland and advising a contractor on a dispute involving the interpretation of a facilities management agreement for an Australian correctional facility.
- Acting for a specialist joinery subcontractor on adjudication and subsequent Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings concerning security of payment issues.
- Acting in the leading case (MT Højgaard v E.ON  EWHC 1088 (TCC);  UKSC 59) on interpretation of contractual warranties regarding fitness for purpose, design life, service life and errors in an international design standard.
- Acting for a Danish contractor in English High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings regarding the interpretation of variation provisions in a bespoke contract for the design, construction and installation of wind turbine generator (WTG) foundations for an offshore wind farm (MT Højgaard v E.ON  EWCA Civ 710).
- Acting on several large-scale complex international arbitrations arising out of major energy and infrastructure projects, including two consolidated ICC arbitrations which led to the successful resolution of disputes worth several billions of dollars for the state-owned operator of a major crude oil pipeline in the Caspian region, two ICC arbitrations for a South Korean EPC contractor regarding delay and disruption to the construction of power and desalination plants in Dubai and Kuwait, two ICC arbitrations for a state-owned EPC contractor arising out of the construction of the Baku-Tblisi-Ceyhan crude oil pipeline and an LCIA arbitration in connection with the design and installation of offshore WTG foundations.