The majority of my experience is in employee relations and safety, where I have acted for both public and private sector clients. I have also worked with insurers to manage workers compensation, general liability and professional indemnity claims.
My roles as Managing Partner of MinterEllison’s Brisbane office and deputy leader of the firm’s Risk, Regulatory, Insurance and Controversy practice enables me to engage with both the business community and government. I am also heavily involved in pro bono and not-for-profit work through the firm’s Community Investment Program.
- Brisbane City Council – acted in recovering a significant sum of misappropriated money and stolen property following an employee fraud
- Queensland Health – acted in the first prosecution under the Radiation Safety Act 1999 (Qld)
- A subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. – defended an unlawful dismissal claim in the Federal Court of Australia arising out of the production of a major motion picture
- BHP Billiton Limited – defended an application by the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union challenging BHP’s drug and alcohol testing regime at one of its Queensland coal mines
- Defended a major health and safety prosecution in the mining industry, involving an application for special leave to appeal to the High Court of Australia
- Advised self-insured employers under the workers compensation scheme, including Arnott’s Biscuits Limited, BHP Billiton Limited, Glencore, Queensland Rail, Toll Group and Wesfarmers Limited
- Acted for a wide range of pro bono clients, including Australia’s CEO Challenge, LawRight and Brisbane Youth Service Inc.