I give commercial advice and assist clients in developing and negotiating complex transactions and navigating regulatory issues in the energy and resources sector. My experience includes mergers and acquisitions, establishing and advising on joint ventures, long-term and financed commodity sales, regulatory matters and services arrangements.
I have particular experience advising on mines and projects in Queensland, but have also worked on transactions around Australia, in Asia, the Middle-East and the UK.
- Anglo American: advising on the equalisation of its two multi-billion dollar underground mines, Moranbah North and Grosvenor, with five Japanese joint venture parties, and on on divestments of Australian coal mining assets by sale through competitive auctions (including the sale of the Callide, Foxleigh, Drayton and Dartbrook mines).
- Albemarle Corporation: advised in relation to NYSE listed Albemarle's US$1.3B acquisition of a 60% interest in the Wodgina lithium project in Western Australia from Mineral Resources Limited, and corresponding sale of a 40% interest in the Kemerton lithium hydroxide project.
- Rio Tinto: advising on its global exploration collaboration with China Minmetals, including leading Rio Tinto's legal negotiations with Minmetals in China.
- PetroChina: advised on their investments in Arrow Energy and the Browse project.
- Stanwell: advised on long-term fuel supply, ash disposal and rail arrangements for power stations in Queensland.
Highly recommended, Legal500 Natural Resources (Transactions and Regulatory) 2020: ‘Jordan Phillips is one of the most knowledgeable mining and M&A lawyers.’