Directions in Public M&A presents the trends shaping the public M&A market in Australia.

Mergers and Acquisitions

MinterEllison’s expertise covers the full spectrum of M&A transactions, both in the public markets domain and by private treaty. Our M&A lawyers advise across a range of industries, particularly energy and resources, transport, financial services, technology, media and telecommunications, and health and ageing.

We act for a large and established client base of international and Australian clients in both hostile and recommended public company takeover bids, public-to-private transactions, private treaty trade sales and acquisitions, as well as joint venture arrangements, mergers, privatisations and reconstructions by schemes of arrangement.

Our M&A team is experienced in developing strategy and working closely with our clients’ financial advisers to successfully execute an agreed strategy. As Asia Pacific’s largest law firm, we have the ability to speedily assemble an M&A transaction team with the depth of resources required to implement transactions efficiently, including those with cross border operations.

As well as assisting with clients’ negotiation and execution strategies, we advise on transaction risk identification and allocation.

Our internal structure allows us to bring together expert, integrated M&A teams, including lawyers with applicable industry credentials and legal expertise in competition, tax structuring and acquisition finance, as client and transaction requirements dictate.

Our tax structuring expertise is one of the deepest in our region, and has benefited many of our M&A clients. In competition law, we have leading experts, one of whom has written the leading textbook in the field that is now in its 30th edition.

CIMIC takeover bid for Sedgman Limited

Advised CIMIC on it $230 million off market takeover bid for ASX Listed Sedgman Limited.

HUB24 acquisition of Agility Applications Pty Ltd

Advised HUB24 Limited on its proposed acquisition of leading fintech Agility Applications Pty Ltd. Our role involved advising HUB24 in all major aspects of the transaction, including structuring, legal due diligence and transaction documentation.

NIBE Industrier AB acquisition of 65% interest in Canadian company FPI Fireplace Products International Ltd

We acted for NIBE Industrier AB, a Swedish listed entity, on the acquisition of a 65% stake in FPI Fireplace Products International Ltd, a company incorporated in Canada, including its Australian subsidiary Fireplace Products Australia Pty Ltd (FPA). The remaining 35% of the shares are subject to a call option and can be exercised until 2022. FPI's operation include the development, production and marketing of hearth products. FPA is responsible for the sales and distribution aspects of the business in Australia and New Zealand.

Sale of Contango Asset Management

Acted for ASX-listed Contango Microcap Limited on the sale of its investment management arm to a James Packer-led consortium.

Iron Mountain sale of Australian records management business for AU$70 million

Advised Iron Mountain Incorporated on the sale of certain assets of its Australian records management business to a consortium of buyers led by US private equity firm Housatonic Partners for AU$70 million.