Visit our CHQA News Hub to stay up-to-date with the latest in corporate governance and law.
Minter Ellison has the industry knowledge and cross-disciplinary experience to advise and add value throughout the entire agribusiness lifecycle. Our expertise includes ASX listings, organisational structuring and foreign investment; bio-security, import risk & quarantine; intellectual property; managed investment schemes; native title; occupational health and safety; and production and distribution.
Our clients represent every facet of the industry, including manufacturers and distributors, investors, financiers, regulators, producers, retailers and government agencies. We act for some of the largest agribusiness companies in the region and understand the issues they face. We seamlessly integrate lawyers from multiple practice areas to achieve the best outcome for our clients.
Acted for global seafood company Maruha Nichiro Seafoods Inc in its purchase of 50% of West Australian company Austral Fisheries Pty Ltd, one of Australia's leading commercial fishing companies. Our role involved advising Maruha throughout the life cycle of the transaction, including conducting due diligence on the legal particulars of Australia's fishing industry and achieving completion with parties across various time zones in Japan, Spain, Australia and New Zealand.
Advised Affinity Equity Partners on the acquisition of a majority shareholding in Primo Smallgoods, Australia's largest producer of ham, bacon and small goods, alongside the founding family.
Minter Ellison advised Parmalat Australia Pty Ltd (a wholly owned subsidiary of Parmalat S.p.A., which is listed on the Italian stock exchange) and the Lactalis Group (majority shareholder in Parmalat S.p.A.) in relation to its acquisition of 100% of the Longwarry Food Park dairy business. Minter Ellison assisted Parmalat and Lactalis with legal due diligence, negotiations of the transaction documents (including W&I policy) and completion of the transaction. The acquisition further strengthens Parmalat's position in the Australian dairy market.
Minter Ellison Rudd Watts advised Sumitomo Corporation on the acquisition of an 80% stake in Juice Products New Zealand Limited.
Acted for Suntory Holdings on the Australian merger clearance aspects in relation to the US$16 billion acquisition of Beam Inc.
Advised Fonterra on a partial tender offer to gain up to a 20 per cent stake in Beingmate. Subject to obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals and Fonterra completing the partial tender offer, Fonterra and Beingmate will establish a joint venture to purchase Fonterra's facility at Darnum, in Victoria.
Advised the senior debt holders of Gunns Limited.
Iconic Australian food business Primo Smallgoods, the leading producer of ham, bacon and smallgoods in Australia and New Zealand, has been acquired by Brazilian food giant JBS S.A. for an all cash deal worth $1.45 billion. The deal, announced on Friday 21 November 2014, is the largest Private Equity deal of the year, sealing a fantastic result for private equity group Affinity Equity Partners who sold its 70% stake in the business, with the Lederer Family also exiting its remaining 30% stake in the business
Advised Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Holdings Limited (WCB) in responding to competing takeover offers from Bega Cheese (hostile), Saputo (recommended) and Murray Goulburn (unsolicited). This was one of the most vigorous auctions for control in recent Australian Corporate history, with a total of 9 bids made by the three bidders. Saputo's winning bid valued Warrnambool at approximately A$530m.